Choosing the Best Earthquake Survival Kit Is a No-Brainer
Spotting the best earthquake survival kit should be simple, if you know what to look for. They are lightweight, comprehensive, easy to store, and portable. An earthquake preparedness kit needs to have all of the essentials that will help you survive after a quake. This includes food, water, shelter, and first aid supplies. The government warns that you need to be able to survive for up to 72 hours without assistance. The best earthquake survival kit will follow a combination of guidelines and recommendations from industry experts including the earthquake kit checklist released by the Canadian and United States governments.
- Canada is affected by more than 3,500 earthquakes every single year
- The areas which are at the highest risk of earthquakes in Canada include British Columbia, St. Lawrence valley, Ottawa River valley, and the three Northern Territories. The Canadian government warns that while these areas are at the highest risk, earthquakes can affect any Canadian region
- Experts estimate that an earthquake in the middle of a large urban center would be the single most destructive natural disaster that Canada could experience
- The secondary damage of an earthquake, in the form of aftershocks and tidal waves, often cause as much, if not more, damage than the initial quake
- It is vital that you exit your home immediately after an earthquake because once the foundation is damaged; secondary shocks can easily bring down a building. This means you need to have the best earthquake survival kit packaged and ready to go at all times
The Best Earthquake Survival Kit Has Everything You Will Need
Your earthquake survival kit checklist needs to include the following categories: food/water, light/communication, shelter, tools, hygiene, and first aid. The best earthquake survival kit not only addresses all of these categories, but provides a holistic solution for each. For example, when addressing the need for shelter, you should have a tent, multiple emergency blankets, and emergency ponchos with hoods. This will allow you to survive regardless of what season it is. Water supplies are another key area that must be addressed holistically. The best earthquake survival kit will give you access to an immediate water supply as well as purification tablets for long term use. Doing this ensures you can minimize the weight of the kit, while addressing your short and long term hydration needs.
Choosing the Best Earthquake Survival Kit Will Protect You and Your Loved Ones
The most important reason to buy the best earthquake survival kit is that it has been designed specifically to protect you and your loved ones. It is not only designed to protect you during the initial quake, but for up to three days following the devastating event. Along with getting by following an event, the best earthquake survival kit will also include tools that will help you get found by rescue services. This is why industry experts include multiple communication items on their earthquake survival list. These types of tools include a rechargeable squeeze flashlight, survival whistle, and radio flashlight. To protect you and your loved ones, only the best earthquake survival kit will do.